Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Coconut Ice

One of my husband's favourite sweets is Coconut Ice, which is really hard to get hold of unless you go to Thorntons, which is so expensive, so I decided to make some for him.

I used this recipe: Coconut Ice


Ingredients

250g sweetened condensed milk
250g icing sugar , sifted, plus extra for dusting
200g dessicated coconut
pink edible food colouring , optional 



Using a wooden spoon, mix together the condensed milk and icing sugar in a large bowl. 
It will get very stiff. 
Work the coconut into the mix until it's well combined - use your hands, if you like.

 

The next step in the original recipe, is to roll the mixture out and shape. 
I found this very difficult so I just put the mixture into a lined tin and left to set. 
If you choose to colour half the mixture, I'd separate into two bowls and mix the food 
colouring into one of the bowls. 
I'd then lay one mixture on top of the other and leave to set.
 
 
Transfer to a plate or board and leave uncovered for at least 3 hrs or ideally overnight to set. 
Cut into squares with a sharp knife and pack into bags or boxes. 
These will keep for up to a month at least, if stored in an airtight container. 
 

I dusted with icing sugar so the edges weren't as sticky, plus it added more authenticity. Haha


These were really yummy and I got a big thumbs up from hubby! 
I'd make these again but maybe play around with the amounts a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment